Monday 1 October 2007

Tomatoes

In preperation for possible allotment, I planted some tomato seeds indoors. They shot up and grew really tall and skinny. They were in little seed pots, and I tried to prop them up, but they kept falling over.

Anyway, when I got the allotment, I planted them out. They weren't very prepared for the great outdoors, and took a bit too adjust. But they grew. What they didn't do though was produce loads of flowers, and therefore grow tomatoes.

I've read now that if they are allowed to go skinny and tall, they don't flower well. So next year I will try and put them outside in a greenhouse type affair to acclimatise earlier.

I also found it a pain tying them up, and I never did quite get round to pinching out the side shoots. Maybe that's why they didn't fruit? Anyway, I believe that there are 2 types of tomato plants - bush and ?non-bush tall skinny? plants. I think I had the tall skinny ones, so next year I'll also try a bush type variety.

The tomato plants also seemed to die of something towards the end of August, and I don't know why. Maybe it is the constant rain we have had. Maybe a disease, but I don't think so. Ho Hum.

Here's to a bumper crop for next year!

No comments: