Monday 1 October 2007

Pumpkins

The pumpkins were also started off on the window sill, and grew from strength to strength up the window. They were in 3" pots (I think), and did really well. Once I got the allotment, I tried to acclimatise them outside. I also didn't get much chance to get them into the ground. I think they got too big for their pots, and by the time they made it to the allotment, they had changed from wonderful thriving plants, to barely alive things. They died, or got eaten by the slugs. Sob! I felt their loss deeply.

It was still early in the year, so I tried again. This time, I put them outside early, and put them into the ground early. They died too. I think it was a mixture of too small, and too many slugs. Grrr, I'm starting to dislike slugs!

So no pumpkins for our lanterns this year. Maybe next year! Learning curve, think learning curve!

No comments: