Monday 1 October 2007

Gooseberries

The one good thing about my overgrown patch of jungle is that it came with 4 mature gooseberry bushes. While gooseberries are not instantly something I think of eating, I'm not going to turn them down!

I left them to their own devices this year, and picked a huge amount of berries off them in July. I stewed the berries down, with a load of sugar, and froze them in 400ml batches. Note for next year - freeze in smaller batches! The kids didn't like the tartness of them, which is what I thought was best about them. Delicious! So freeze in smaller batches so I can eat them when the fancy takes.

The bushes have grass and weeds growing through them, so one of my tasks that I need to do is to weed around them, and to prune them. I may also take some cuttings to propagate them. So the gooseberries were a success! At least I got something from this year!

No comments: