Tuesday 29 April 2008

Time is marching on....

Now you may think that a lack of posts means that I have been working hard up at the allotment, just not posting about it. Unfortunately, that would be wrong! The lack of posts is because up until last week, I just haven't been there. Things have been so hectic, and my 'weekends off' have been taken up with one thing and another.

However, I have been up a couple times in the past week and things are happening again.

My rhubarb arrived in the post at the beginning of the Easter weekend. It arrived as I was going away for the weekend, so in good ole me style, I plonked it in the garage to plant after the weekend. And then promptly forgot all about it. Until last week, when I just about falling asleep one night. Oops. Next day I grabbed the box and opened it up to find the rhubarb all covered in mold. Not good! I have planted it anyway, and I'll see what happens. Hope it doesn't do something nasty like infect the allotment with a bad fungus. Please don't let that happen!


I have also done a bit more digging. The ex-tomato patch has now connected through to the onion bed - woo hoo! When I first 'broke through' and connected the two patches of earth, I felt like the diggers of the channel tunnel coming at it from both ends, and finally making a connection!


I have also planted (yes planted!) some carrots and leeks in that patch. Just a short row of each - I think if I was truly expecting to live off the earth I would need a whole lot more!


On the next visit up I took the kids and we did some weeding, until they got bored and started making a den! Lil gal thought it was great to move soil around in the patch where I had planted the seeds, and of course sitting in the soil was also great fun. I think all three are responsible for walking over my blackcurrant cuttings - there are only 3 left now. I didn't factor kids into the success rate! The picture below was before the damage was done (I am quite impressed that they look so healthy though!):


Still got potatoes to plant though. I think I may try some strategic potato planting - to help with weed suppression, y'know? Not that I want to avoid more digging of course.....

Also this week, I have planted some seeds at home for growing on and planting out. I love watching seeds grow - I'll be posting pics as soon as the poke their heads up!

See how good I am at procrastination? As soon as I have marking to do, I am able to get a whole load of other things done.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you stop posting? I moved to Wales this year and have to tame some land and grow things. I was very interested to read your blogs, but would like to know why they have stopped. Have you given up work on the allotment? Or are you just too busy working on it, plus all the other stuff in your life?

Suze said...

Thanks for your message - it's really nice to think that somebody actually wants to read my blog! (And kindof scary in a nice way!!)

Your comment has spurred me on to a new post.

The reason I haven't posted is just plain busy. I've meant to, but I haven't. I'll try harder in the future!

Thanks,

Suze

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.