Monday 10 December 2007

Garlic in the Ground

The Garlic that arrived recently had instructions to put into the ground by early december, or else in the new year. I don't trust me keeping it until the new year, so I wanted to get it in now. Once again though, events are getting in the way! Lil'Girly came down with a bug, so playgroup was out last week. It's Christmas events for the next 2 Wednesdays, so I have to give up a Monday to get the Garlic in. So instead of Christmas shopping, I headed up in the freezing cold (and it was *cold*!) to lift up the mixed lettuces, and put the garlic in.

The garlic variety is 'Solent Wight', and when planted in November it should be ready in July - once the foliage turns yellow and dry. I'm assuming that I can take a couple of the bulbs from this years crop as next years starters. So much learning!


Here's a picture of them before I covered up the cloves. I hope they are far enough apart. I also put them possibly a bit too far in the ground, but the onions sets are showing bulb so I have put the garlic a little lower.
The garlic is in next to the big gal's wall flowers. One of them is flowering - in December! Awww.

The onions are growing well - here's how far they've got. I'm really pleased to think that I might get something useful from the allotment this year!

No comments: